[LCM Articles] Lebanese Polls (fwd)

Loai Naamani loai at MIT.EDU
Sun Mar 13 00:00:39 EST 2005

Dear all,

Thank you for the constructive debate. To keep this inline with the well-mannered and peaceful efforts taking place by ALL those
demonstrating in Lebanon, please keep your arguments and criticism targeted at the matter in question and not the person on the
other side.

An "illogical" email/argument does not equate to an illogical author nor does it justify accusing them of "negative IQ" nor
presuming they think they're the "only intelligent life form on Earth". It's an oxymoron to preach respect for others' opinions and
then slash them for voicing such opinions. Practice what you preach, or feel free to take your arguments elsewhere (personal email)
without abiding by the regulations of this moderated list.

For the record, once and for all, those pictures being circulated have NOTHING to do with Tuesday's demonstration. Pictures may say
it better than words, but a quick glance at the very words surrounding those pictures (and the nightfall behind the protesters) make
this obvious. In fact, the people in this picture were accompanying Kanso and Qandil in their Saturday night rampage through
Achrafieh; it was live on TV and published in the papers days before Tuesday's demonstration!

Those people are scum and not at all representative of the hundreds of thousands demonstrating on Tuesday, which according to many
is the largest human gathering in Lebanese history, whether others like to admit it or not. It's very misleading to use this picture
in supporting any argument; otherwise please don't tell me you'll accept the currently attached picture as a counterargument!

I also hope we do not mistake the hundreds of thousands Nasrallah was yelling to on Tuesday as mostly comprised of Syrians brought
from across the borders. To believe so is to shun off a substantial slice of fellow compatriots who have an equally valid take on
the issue(s) at hand. And they are inferior in neither quality nor quantity to those demonstrating elsewhere.

That said, I believe the Tuesday demonstration isn't something to be ridiculed, taken lightly, or even misinterpreted in the fashion
Western media has portrayed it (knowingly or unknowingly) as a staged pro-Syrian protest. If anything, I think this all attests to a
genuine polarization that needs to be addressed. Thankfully, there's a lot they all (various demonstrating camps) agree upon in one
form or another. Capitalizing on that will hopefully bring the country from the current turmoil to a stage of sufficient stability
and maturity to then democratically address the rest.

Thanks,
L.