[External] : Re: Windows Credential Guard with MSLSA

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Thu Sep 7 09:30:42 EDT 2023

>Windows Credential Guard cannot be used on Linux.  However the service
>that Windows Credential Guard is protecting, a database service
>running on Linux in this case, whether there is a way to retrieve the
>credentials protected by Windows Credential Guard without using GSSAPI

So I was mildly curious and I did some more digging.  Here's what I
believe to be true, with the caveat I am not that experienced in the
details and I might be wrong (and I would appreciate any corrections
where I get things wrong):

- The MIT Kerberos 5 libraries do have native support for doing S4U2proxy
  which I believe is the protocol you want to use.

- The specific details here is you need to send an "evidence ticket"
  from the client to the server (which in test example I see is just
  the complete ASN.1-encoded Kerberos service ticket for the database
  server), the application server (the database service running on the
  Linux system), the database service would call krb5_decode_ticket()
  and krb5_server_decrypt_ticket_keytab() to get the the decrypted
  ticket contents, and then call krb5_get_credentials_for_proxy() to
  make the actual S4U2Proxy request (the database server will also have
  to have a TGT for itself).

- I'm actually a little unclear how you'd do the "send a raw ticket
  from the client to the server" inside of the GSSAPI.  I suspect it
  is possible but the MIT documentation just talks about the application
  server API pieces.

- As I mentioned previously, this would require client-server protocol
  rework AND significant changes on the database server side.  If we
  are talking about Oracle (just a guess based on your email address)
  I was under the impression that Oracle includes a very old copy of MIT
  Kerberos internally; if that is still the case then this would also
  require the Kerberos implementation inside of Oracle to be updated
  to something much newer.

- From what others have said, there is essentially no way to get out
  a TGT from the MSLSA credential cache when using Windows Credential
  Guard.

--Ken