[krbdev.mit.edu #9046] requires_hwauth can cause a preauth loop with PKINIT

Sam Hartman hartmans at debian.org
Fri Jan 21 09:55:05 EST 2022

    Ken> This touches a larger issue that I've run into, in that the
    Ken> client-side preauth loop is ... kind of a mess.  I mean, I
    Ken> understand WHY it's a mess and why it's doing what it does.
    Ken> But let me explain (and I know that most people here know this
    Ken> stuff, but I want to restate my understanding in case it is
    Ken> wrong).

    Ken> My general understanding of the client preauth loop is that it
    Ken> tries to distinguish between "real" preauth mechanisms and
    Ken> "non-real" mechanisms that are just being used as a protocol
    Ken> extension.  It will try to pick the "best" real mechanism it
    Ken> can do out of the list.

We tried to addrcess this in the preauth framework, but implementations
really haven't caught up, in part because there are a number of
pre-framework mechanisms in play like pkinit, and in part because it's
hard and standardization effort exceeded implementation effort in a
number of places.

The inten in the preauth framework model was effectively to do away with
the loop entirely.  You get a preauth required error with a number of PA
sets (or singleton mechanisms).
The mechanisms include hints that let you know  whether you are likely
to succeed with them.
You pick one of the sets and go down that path.

If it fails, it fails; you don't try more, and you don't take a preauth
required error as a new set of things to try.

The intent was also that the PA sets would give you enough information
so that you could  present all the UI at once.

--Sam