Relying on stdint.h in krb5

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Sat Feb 1 17:09:17 EST 2014

Greg Hudson <ghudson at mit.edu> writes:

> http://k5wiki.kerberos.org/wiki/Portability_assumptions currently says
> "The C99 stdint.h or inttypes.h capabilities should be available."

> I would like to change this to specifically require stdint.h, so that we
> can include it unconditionally in public headers.  C99 specifies
> <stdint.h> to declare the fixed-width typedefs and min/max constants,
> and <inttypes.h> to declare those as well as the printf format
> specifiers and some utility functions.  Right now we only need the
> fixed-width type names; we don't need any of the extra stuff in
> inttypes.h.

> According to my notes, MSVC provides <stdint.h> as of SDK 7.1, but not
> <inttypes.h>.  I believe <stdint.h> is available on every Unix-like
> platform we would want to support.

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/manual/html_node/stdint_002eh.html
says that you would lose on HP-UX 11.11, AIX 5.1, IRIX 6.5, and OpenBSD
3.8.  That seems acceptable to me given the current portability
requirements.  Those are pretty old platforms.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>