krb5 libraries and circular dependencies

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 3 14:06:12 EDT 2010

On May 31, 2010, at 20:48, Nicolas Williams wrote:
>> The interesting question is more whether we can stop doing the
>> check-if-weak-function-pointer-is-null hack for some UNIX systems, and
>> make the calls unconditional on all UNIX systems.
>
> I don't know about Linux or *BSD, but for Solaris you definitely can.

Yes, on the most popular ones we support it's not a problem right now, I think, but I do think we should be mindful of vendor or end-user ports to other systems that we don't support directly.

>>> Looking forward to a day when Solaris can do drop-ins instead of merges,
>>> I'd rather see a filter approach, because that's what we do in Solaris
>>> when we fold a library into another.
>>
>> It's more specific to ELF (and maybe only some ELF platforms?).
>
> Yes, but it can be emulated.

For functions, yes.  Sadly, our ABI includes a few variables as well.

Ken