krb5-1.6.4-beta1 is available

Damian Hazen dhazen at lbl.gov
Fri Mar 28 14:23:11 EDT 2008

Tom Yu wrote:

> MIT krb5-1.6.4-beta1 is now available for download from
>
>          http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/dist/
>
> The main MIT Kerberos web page is
>
>          http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/
>
> Please send comments to the krbdev list in the next few weeks.
>
> The only significant changes since krb5-1.6.4-beta1 have involved KfW
> support and some PKINIT build issues.
>
> Major changes in 1.6.4 include:
>
> For a more complete list of changes, please consult

There is a linking issue when building kerberos on AIX 5.  This problem
has been around for a few kerberos releases now and it would be really
helpful if it could be addressed.  For AIX 5, kerberos is now building
run-time linking shared objects (see config/shlib.conf) instead of
archives.   This breaks executables which want to link against them
unless the executable explicitly requests run-time linking.  For
example, executables in the kerberos distribution itself have this
problem and the kerberos build fails here:

        /usr/vac/bin/xlc_r -L../../../lib
-blibpath:/usr/local/lib::/usr/lib:/lib -g -qhalt=e -O -D_THREAD_SAFE
-o client client.o r
pc_test_clnt.o  -lgssrpc -lgssapi_krb5 -lkrb5 -lk5crypto -lcom_err
-lkrb5support  -lpthreads ^M
ld: 0706-006 Cannot find or open library file: -l gssrpc^M
        ld:open(): A file or directory in the path name does not exist.^M
ld: 0706-006 Cannot find or open library file: -l gssapi_krb5^M
        ld:open(): A file or directory in the path name does not exist.^M
ld: 0706-006 Cannot find or open library file: -l krb5^M
        ld:open(): A file or directory in the path name does not exist.^M
ld: 0706-006 Cannot find or open library file: -l k5crypto^M
        ld:open(): A file or directory in the path name does not exist.^M
ld: 0706-006 Cannot find or open library file: -l com_err^M
        ld:open(): A file or directory in the path name does not exist.^M
ld: 0706-006 Cannot find or open library file: -l krb5support^M
        ld:open(): A file or directory in the path name does not exist.^M
make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 255.^M

.so's are not searched for unless runtime linking is explicitly asked
for.  I think the linker flags in config/shlib.conf for AIX 4 are
generally OK for AIX 5 as well, and I don't understand why things were
changed significantly for AIX 5.   Is the intent to require run-time
linking for AIX 5?

Thanks,
-Damian