(Final?) krb5.Conf Lexer/Parser Proposal

Danilo Almeida dalmeida at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 6 16:56:36 EST 2006

Ah, I think I see two problems:

1) The profile library cannot distinguish between subsections that are
semantically a "directory of settings" versus a "setting which contains
sub-items".  Therefore, the profile library cannot infer how to merge.

2) Also, from the examples given, it looks like the profile library is happy
to accept multlple ValueName = Value for the same ValueName.  Is that
correct?  Similarly for subsections.

Windows does not allow #2 (unique value names) and does not have the problem
in #1 because the app does the merging itself (for better or for worse).

If #2 is really the case in the profile library, I don't see any good way to
deal w/o the final bit.

To get rid of #2, I think that one would have to support lists.  For
instance:

    kdc = "kerberos.mit.edu:88", "kerberos-1.mit.edu:88"

Instead of using:

    kdc = kerberos.mit.edu:88
    kdc = kerberos-1.mit.edu:88

(Again, maybe my lack of familiarity with the profile library is...  Why did
I jump into this thread? :)

- Danilo