broken compatability between 1.3.5 and 1.4.1

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Oct 5 17:55:35 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 15:44 -0400, Roland Dowdeswell wrote:
> On 1128121033 seconds since the Beginning of the UNIX epoch
> Tom Yu wrote:
> >

> >Interesting.  As early as 1.2.x, the *_init_ets() functions were
> >marked as private, so prototypes should not have been available unless
> >KRB5_PRIVATE was defined.
> >
> >Also, somewhere since 1.2.x, we started to use export lists to
> >restrict symbols exported from shared libraries on Unix platforms.
>
> Not exposing the prototypes only helps if developers consistently
> compile with [in gcc]: -Wmissing-prototypes -Werror.  Unfortunately,
> most C programmers do not do this and hence continued to use the
> function without being alerted to the fact that it was missing.

I note that (rightly or wrongly) Samba 3.0 has for a while defined
KRB5_PRIVATE and KRB5_DEPRICATED to get at functions it needs.  There
may be alternate ways to achieve the same goals, and it appears (because
we still link on my Fedora Core 4, krb5-1.4.1, apparently) we can still
get at them for the moment.

I'm certainly worried (from the practical standpoint of existing
installations) if the list of hidden functions was to grow, and break
Samba installs.

As I have mentioned here before in Samba4 we have taken an entirely
different approach, and I hope this won't be an issue for that release.

Andrew Bartlett