Internal Security Approval Process for MIT Kerberos for Windows

Greg Hudson ghudson at mit.edu
Tue Jul 7 11:28:28 EDT 2020

On 7/6/20 7:36 AM, Andreas Kreidler wrote:
> -          Is this software still actively maintained ? There were only a few commits of the last years  / the last non-beta release 4.1 is from 2016

MIT krb5 (the source code release) is actively maintained.  KfW (the
Windows binary release based upon MIT krb5) is infrequently updated, and
unfortunately the latest effort to issue a release stalled out due to
installer issues.  The issues are probably cosmetic, but proved
difficult to reproduce and fix.

> -          What about Windows 10 support ?

MIT uses the current KfW release (4.1) internally with Windows 10.

> The project I'm actually working on depends on Kerberos for Windows support so I would be gratefull for any help in convincing out security department.

Sometimes it is possible to use the Windows native Kerberos
implementation instead of KfW.  My focus is not on Windows, but I can
try to give advice.