Thread Safety for gssapi (windows for kerberos. gss_import_name, gss_acquire_cred) functions.

Rahul G rahulrasm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 11:07:01 EDT 2017

Hello,

I am doing some performance testing in my .NET application which uses MIT
kerberos for windows (https://github.com/krb5/krb5)

I see that when my load goes beyond some number i get Access Violation
exceptions from most of the gss api functions.
the ones I saw were

gss_import_name

gss_acquire_cred

gss_acquire_cred_impersonate_name

gss_release_cred

gss_init_sec_context

and these are the functions that I pretty much use in my application.

Having semaphores for these functions did help to some extent but not
entirely.

I have a simple use case.
My client application needs to be authenticated by a target service running
on a windows server.
so I am using the kerberos library in my client application to make AS_REQ,
TGS_REQ to a windows KDC, I put the security token in auth header for the
server to authenticate.

I was wondering if there is a limit on how much load these functions can
handle? or if there is an alternative for my specific use case.
any input will be of great help.

Thank You,
Rahul.