[krbdev.mit.edu #7963] Building Krb5 on windows

Benjamin Kaduk via RT rt at krbdev.mit.edu
Tue Jul 15 11:35:15 EDT 2014

[BBENDAVI at arinc.com - Thu Jul 10 18:10:09 2014]:

> So version 4 of KfW is actually Kerberos version 5?

Yes.  So was KfW 3, and KfW 2.

> Also once I installed KfW4 how exactly can I use it? Is it adding all
>    the environment needed? All I need to do is include krb5.h?

If you just need to include krb5.h and link libkrb5, the easiest path is to just use the installer
from http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/dist/#kfw-4.0 and do a custom installation, being sure to
install the SDK component (which is not selected by default).  I don't believe that there's
currently an installer option to disable the installation of MIT Kerberos.exe, but you don't need
to run that application in order to use libkrb5.

If you really want to avoid having the GUI Ticket Manager application on your machine, you can
still compile from source, and set KRB_INSTALL_DIR to the desired install tree before running
'make install' (you would then ignore the directions in the README for building an installer).  But
I think you would still want to use the source tree from a KfW release, and not a Unix krb5
release.