ccapiserver required, but krbcc32s was not

Thomas Sondergaard ts at medical-insight.com
Wed Mar 6 11:05:50 EST 2013

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

On 06-03-2013 16:17, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2013, Thomas Sondergaard wrote:
>
>> I am upgrading a Windows application of ours to depend on kfw-4.0.1. It
>> works but there is one problem:
>>
>> With kfw-3.2.2 it works without the need for shipping krbcc32s.exe, but
>> with kfw-4.0.1 it only works if it can start ccapiserver.exe and after
>> the application shuts down ccapiserver.exe keeps running.
>>
>> I assume that krbcc32s.exe and ccapiserver.exe are equivalent services.
>
> Yes.  They are helper processes to support the "API:" credentials cache
> type, a fancier version of the "MEMORY:" cache type which is available to
> more than one process.  krb5cc32s.exe serves the ccapi version 2, and
> ccapiserver.exe servers the ccapi version 3.

Thanks for the explanation.

>> Is there a way to prevent ccapiserver.exe from being needed with kfw-4.0.1?
>
> The 'MIT Kerberos.exe' appliation requires the presence of a ccapiserver,
> though this might be avoidable with a patched source tree.  (The ticket
> manager application periodically iterates all available credentials to
> update the display, and if the ccapiserver is absent a warning dialog pops
> up each time, that krb5_cccol_cursor_next failed.)
> If you do not need to use the ticket manager application, it is possible
> to avoid the ccapiserver.

I do not need "MIT Kerberos.exe". We are using kfw with cyrus-sasl to
provide "Active Directory single-sign-on" in our application.

>> We actually have two applications that are built against kfw-3.2.2 and
>> one of them do need krbcc32s.exe, while the other doesn't. The one that
>> doesn't sets KRB5CCNAME to a file. Could that be why it doesn't need
>> krbcc32s.exe?
>
> Your insight is correct.  As the helper process is only needed to support
> the "API:" credentials cache family, if a different type of credentials
> cache is used, the helper is not needed.
>
> The KRB5CCNAME environment variable will work for this, as will the
> registry key HKCU\Software\MIT\Kerberos5\ccname (or HKLM if neither of the
> others are set).

So in principle it should work without the ccapiserver for the
application that sets the KRB5CCNAME environment variable to point to
file, but it does not. I will see if I can find my way around the code
and figure out why.

Thanks,
Thomas