[krbdev.mit.edu #6832] Bug in MIT Kerberos for Windows Version 3.2.2

David R Boldt via RT rt at krbdev.mit.edu
Thu Dec 9 11:06:02 EST 2010

Update on the USGS Kerberos for Windows issue.

We've been able to replicate the KfW crash outside of Active Directory,
using a huge set of SRV DNS records on a local DNS server.

The Department of Interior Active Directory team continues to vary the
amount of domain controllers in the GS domain. We must be very close to
the DNS buffer limit in KfW, because occasionally this crash fails to
occur.

We've traced the crash to a static buffer size in wshelper, a
MIT-developed Winsock wrapper. This means that the problem is local to
Windows.

We have been able to build a 32-bit wshelper DLL that contains a larger
buffer. In testing, this fixes the problem in the production AD and test
environments.

There are a few problems with building MIT's Kerberos for Windows. The KfW
project's source assumes that we are using a specific version of MS Visual
Studio (2003). This version is old, and any attempts to build KfW with
newer versions are not likely to be successful. We were able to tweak the
wshelper code in order to build the specific DLL in a newer MS Visual
Studio. Jeff Altman has commented that newer VS versions will probably not
be able to build the entire KfW package (
http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/kfwdev/2007-July/000073.html).

                                         -- David Boldt
                                             <dboldt at usgs.gov>