[krbdev.mit.edu #6410] MessageBox calls in leashw32.dll cause problems for non-interactive applications

mayer@ntp.isc.org via RT rt at krbdev.mit.edu
Sat Mar 14 15:47:08 EDT 2009

Jeffrey Altman via RT wrote:
> The leashw32.dll is filled with calls to MessageBox().  The assumption
> was that if an error occurred within the krb5 library that it should be
> displayed to the end user.   The problem is that KFW is no used only for
> interactive applications and even when it is the generation of
> MessageBoxes from the library as opposed to reporting the errors to the
> application and letting the application interact with the user is
> (perhaps) a poor choice.
>
> Attached is a patch that disables all of the MessageBox calls within
> leashw32.  It permits USE_MESSAGE_BOX to be specified at compile time in
> order to re-enable the MessageBox calls.

It seems to me that a better solution would be to replace calls to
MessageBox with a call to a different function and have that function
decide how to deal with the message. Since this is a DLL it needs to
decide at run-time whether or not it's interactive and what to do with
the message.

Danny

believed to be clean.