Proposal to use Windows Side-by-side Assemblies for KFW distribution

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Tue Jul 29 11:24:05 EDT 2008

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Asanka Herath of Secure Endpoints has spent the last couple of months
> developing and prototyping a proposal to use Windows Side-by-Side
> Assemblies and Merge Modules as a means of distributing the core KFW
> libraries.  The goal is to permit the core libraries to be installed
> along side third party applications that link to them in exactly the
> same way that the applications distribute redistributable components
> from Microsoft.
>
> The proposal can be obtained at
>
>  http://www.secure-endpoints.com/kfw/proposal-kfw-assemblies.html
>
> Please note that this proposal will require changes to the core
> libraries to permit multiple versions of the libraries to be installed
> on the same machine at the same time.  If adopted, all distributions of
> the KFW libraries will have to be digitally signed, the minimum
> supported development platform would be Visual Studio 2005, and the
> minimum supported operating system version would be Windows XP.
>
> Feedback is welcome.

Sounds like a good idea.

Are you leaning toward the single assembly or the multiple assemblies?

You name the assemblies MIT.KerberosV...
But for the Common Application Data, you use ...\MIT\Kerberos
Is there some reason for having the V in one but not the other?

You talk about third party applications. OpenAFS and PuTTY are two that
come to mind. What would be an upgrade strategy for these?

If some application did not get upgraded, I assume it could still use
the current version of KfW.

If an application had its own private copy of a Kerberos assembly,
what about the ticket cache? Is it shared, could each have its own?

Could one install the Debug version of the assembly, but not the
Debug version of the command line tools? Or would one just install
the debug version.