KFW releases off the trunk will become harder as 1.7 features start getting used

Kevin Koch kpkoch at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 6 22:50:13 EST 2008

With regard to Danny's concerns, I want to clarify how KfW sources relate to
the trunk and branches.

New features are added to the trunk.

When a set of features in the trunk is mostly complete, such as before an
alpha release, a release branch is created.  Changes to the release branch
are then only for bug fixes.  A draft description of the process is at
http://k5wiki.kerberos.org/wiki/Release_branches.

KfW releases are tags based on krb5 release branches.  KfW 3.* releases are
tags on the krb 5-1.6 branch.  KfW 4.* releases will be tags on the 1.7
branch.

Bug fixes are made to the trunk.  The release manager (Tom Yu) carefully
"pulls up" bug fixes from the trunk to the 1.6 (or 1.7) branch, making sure
to only include bug fixes and not new features.  So the latest and greatest
KfW code is in the trunk.

Danny's concern about multiple source trees is one of the reasons why the
code is managed as it is, in one tree.

With this explanation and with the later messages establishing that adding
new features to the trunk can be done mostly without conflicting with NIM
development, are there still concerns?

Kevin