KFW releases off the trunk will become harder as 1.7 features start getting used

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Wed Feb 6 14:05:40 EST 2008

NIM2 is not dependent upon 1.7.  However, given the recent discussions of
the new credential cache not supporting CCAPIv2 there will be a break in
functionality of NIM and NIM2 if the new CCAPI is deployed without
re-writing
the NIM Kerberos v5 provider.  (Also note that the KFW klist.exe is also
dependent upon CCAPIv2.)

As long as the 1.7 libraries do not break backward compatibility, there is
no issue for NIM2 (and other applications that depend on MIT Kerberos.)
If there is a break in backward compatibility, it will be harder to deploy
a new krb5 NIM provider that supports both the old and the new libraries.

Jeffrey Altman
Secure Endpoints Inc.