Frameworks for NIM code

Kevin Koch kpkoch at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 16 10:35:51 EDT 2008

I'd like to start a discussion about frameworks.  Currently, NIM is written
to the Win32 API.  What if it were written to use a framework?

The one argument I've heard against frameworks is that they change with new
releases and maintenance is required to track those changes.

Is that argument valid for 'mature' frameworks?  How stable are various
frameworks?  My impression of MFC, for example, is that it is mature and
stable.

Are there other arguments against frameworks in general?

If a framework were to be used, message and window handling could happen in
the framework.  The code base would be smaller, more focused on the
application and easier to maintain.

What other benefits are there for using frameworks?

What frameworks should be considered?  MFC?  .NET?  Others?

Would the benefits outweigh the anticipated costs?

Kevin Koch