The very first NIM password prompt -- customer feedback needed.

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 25 16:06:52 EDT 2007

Jeffrey Altman <jaltman at secure-endpoints.com> writes:

> Note that changing the dialog to prompt for SUNet ID at Stanford would
> not provide correct behavior because although the software is
> distributed centrally by Stanford , many of the User IDs that user's
> obtain are for realms or domains that are not part of SUNet.  For
> example, students or faculty that perform research at SLAC or access
> research resources at other universities with which there are
> partnership relationships.

Correct.  Any branding of identifier would have to somehow be
per-identity, since it would be wrong if, when a Stanford user was
obtaining a credential for MIT, they were prompted for a SUNet ID.

I've seen other proposals about branding that don't use names but instead
use pictures or some other differentiator per identity.  The branding I
don't think is a significant feature for us; I just wanted to note it in
my previous note to say that I can see where the desire is coming from.