64-bit KFW Status

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Thu Sep 13 08:59:22 EDT 2007

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Kevin Koch wrote:
>> Is the 64 bit leash API public or internal only?
> Most of the 32-bit Leash API is supposedly private but the reality is
> that it is used by third parties.
> The 64-bit Leash API is officially private.
Why do we need the Leash library as part of 64-bit KFW?

First, because the Leash library is what gssapiXX.dll and krb5_XX.dll
uses to
communicate with NIM or Leash to query the user to prompt for
credentials.   This
functionality will be replaced with the Kerberos Identity Management
library when
that library becomes available.  This is the
not_an_API_Leash_AcquireInitialTicketsIfNeeded function.

Second, because third parties such as Hummingbird make use of
Leash_kinit_dlg_ex()
to integrate ticket acquisition functionality into their applications
and until KIM is
available we don't have an alternative for them to use that will be
available on both
32-bit and 64-bit KFW.

There are several other functions that application authors use.  A read
through the
krbdev at mit.edu mailing list archive will provide much insight into what
Leashw32.dll
does and what developers have requested over the years.

Note that I have only ported the library and not the application.  I
have no intention
of porting Leash32.exe to 64-bit.

Jeffrey Altman