How to get RPC notification when a client terminates?

Kevin Koch kpkoch at MIT.EDU
Fri Nov 9 16:55:34 EST 2007

Windows experts:  how can my RPC server learn that a client has gone away?
The server needs to know because it may have state that needs to be cleaned
up.

A) One method is for a server thread to send an RPC message to the client,
which the client never finishes processing.  The server thread will get an
RPC exception when the client dies.

B) Another method is for the server to hold the state until it has a reason
to talk to the client.  Then it can notice that the client is not reachable.

Is there any other way that has the benefits of method A (immediate
discovery, less resource consumption) without an outstanding RPC call for
each client?

The server must be able to handle requests from all clients while
simultaneously detecting any client exiting.

I only care about local RPC connections, if it makes any difference.

I have not been able to find anything in MSDN that looks like it will work.

Thanks.

Kevin Koch