CCAPI needs to be one-per-system long-term

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Wed May 16 11:59:09 EDT 2007

IN the first cut of KFW 4.0 we're going to have a per-user ccapi process like we do today.

However  I want to document some discussions with Jeff Altman on why
we eventually want to strongly consider one ccapi cache server for the
entire system.

There are two issues.  The first is getting credentials from the login
process into the ccapi  and the second is termination of the ccapi.

THere is not a reliable way of getting some code you write executed in
every new login session.  Today we're using login scripts.  They don't
always get run.  For example they do not get run in sessions created
by scheduled tasks.

The other challenge is knowing when to terminate the ccapi server.
Typically, if I understand this correctly, the ccapi server terminates
when it receives a logout notification.  However there are classes of
sessions that do not log out until all processes in the session
terminate.  This creates a catch-22.

--Sam