NIM language questions

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Mon Jul 30 08:59:23 EDT 2007

Kevin Koch wrote:
> The parts of NIM I've looked at so far are written in C.  Since this is a
> GUI app, why doesn't it leverage MFC and C++?  Or why not the .NET
> framework, which provides even richer controls?  I don't want to go back to
> writing message loops!

For several reasons.

(1) MFC over the years has proven to be less than compatible as
Microsoft issued new versions of Visual Studio.

(2) C++ has proven to be less than portable across new Visual Studio
releases due to changes in Microsoft's template libraries and their
additional and removal of C++ language extensions.   It is also not
particularly good at permitting DLLs to be built with a different
compiler than the EXE due to the class library dependencies and export
list issues.

(3) NIM is designed so that it can be portable across operating systems.