NIM language questions

Kevin Koch kpkoch at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 2 14:21:51 EDT 2007

WRT 3) How much of NIM is designed to be portable?  Switching off of
LOWORD(wParam) doesn't strike me as portable ;-).

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Altman [mailto:jaltman at secure-endpoints.com]
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2007 8:59 AM
Kevin Koch wrote:
> The parts of NIM I've looked at so far are written in C.  Since this is a
> GUI app, why doesn't it leverage MFC and C++?  Or why not the .NET
> framework, which provides even richer controls?  I don't want to go back
> to writing message loops!

For several reasons.

(1) MFC over the years has proven to be less than compatible as
Microsoft issued new versions of Visual Studio.

(2) C++ has proven to be less than portable across new Visual Studio
releases due to changes in Microsoft's template libraries and their
additional and removal of C++ language extensions.   It is also not
particularly good at permitting DLLs to be built with a different
compiler than the EXE due to the class library dependencies and export
list issues.

(3) NIM is designed so that it can be portable across operating systems.