[krbdev.mit.edu #5610] NIM password prompt does not identify itself

Jeffrey Altman via RT kfw-bugs at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 2 11:15:36 EDT 2007

The obtain new credentials dialog is identified as a NIM dialog by the
icon.

The title bar is given the text "Obtain New Credentials" when there is
no user/realm specified or "user at REALM - New Credentials" when one has been.

The UI issues are as follows:
(1) there is very limited space on the title bar in the "basic" view.
Perhaps a total of 60 characters if you fill the entire bar.  (This is
dependent on the user's choice of typeface.)  Adding "Network Identity
Manager - " to the title bar will eat up a third of that space.

(2) When the user switches to Advanced view, the user/realm is not
visible except when the user is viewing the "General" tab.  We consider
it important that the selected principal name be visible to the user
when viewing the other advanced configuration tabs.

(3) There should be consistency when the user switches back and forth
between "basic" and "advanced" views.  The title bar should not change.

One way that this could be handled would be to add a status bar to the
"advanced" view that displays the selected identity.  That would free up
the title bar so that it would become "Network Identity Manager - Obtain
New Credentials" as a static string.  However, I should point out that
in the NIM 2.0 user interface proposal(*) we have already addressed this
concern as the selected identity is always visible to the user.  In NIM
2.0, the title bar text is always static and as such can read "Network
Identity Manager - Obtain New Credentials".

Jeffrey Altman

(*)
http://www.secure-endpoints.com/netidmgr/proposal-nim-multiple-id-nc-ux.pdf