Configuring NIM with registry settings

Kevin P Koch kpkoch at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 1 22:18:26 EDT 2007

Jeff guesses right about my intent.

I originally wrote the change to be sensitive to a compile time switch but Sam
pointed out that such a design would not have common code.

If there is already a mechanism for reading and caching configuration settings
and for accessing the settings, I'd be glad to change the code to use it.  If
so, what registry setting would you like to nominate?

Kevin

----- Forwarded message from jaltman at secure-endpoints.com -----
    Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 18:02:39 -0400
    From: Jeffrey Altman <jaltman at secure-endpoints.com>
In particular, because (a) I disagree with the change and (b) if MIT
wants different behavior it would have been preferable for the behavior
to be configurable via a registry setting in the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\MIT\NetIdMgr so that organizations that want the
watermarks can use them.

I'm sure Kevin thought that by putting the patch into the ticket he was
providing review time.  Unfortunately, since the commits to the ticket
went nowhere useful his efforts were wasted.

The first indication of the change that I saw was the svn commit message.