Is this varargs error a VS2003 limitation?

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Wed Apr 25 00:36:46 EDT 2007

Danny Mayer wrote:
> Sam Hartman wrote:
>> So, we certainly do not plan to ship both versions of the ccapi.  It
>> may make development more challenging if Kevin has to drop the old
>> ccapi code to develop the new code, but such is life.
>>
>> I'm somewhat more concerned about dropping the krb4 libraries.  Do we
>> know they fail with vs2005 or do we simply suspect they will fail?
>
> I suspect some changes will be needed based on past experience but most
> of the should be of the form of changing a type.

Danny:

The issues are not simply whether or not the code compiles.  There is a
need to maintain the ABI.  Some of the exported functions use time_t as
a type.  Therefore, it is crucial that the 32-bit version of time_t be
used and not the 64-bit.
>> I know we don't expect them to work in 64-bit vs2005.
>>

> Sorry, but why not? If you run on 64-bit platforms the code should be
> there to get the types correct.
Kerberos v4 has been deprecated.  As part of every announcement for KFW
over the last two years MIT has stated that Kerberos v4 support is no
longer being developed and that other than security fixes there will be
no routine bug fixes or feature enhancements.  As part of this policy,
Kerberos v4 is not being ported to new platforms.  64-bit Windows is a
new platform.  Kerberos v4 will continue to be available as 32-bit
libraries that can be used under WOW64 but no native 64-bit libraries
will be produced.

In my opinion, porting Kerberos v4 to VS.2005 even if all it requires is
replacing time_t and other types with types that are known to be 32-bit
would be a violation of the policy intended to assist in the removal of
Kerberos v4 entirely at some point in the near future.

No new work is being performed on Kerberos v4 and many organizations
that I am aware of intentionally disable its use via MSI Transforms.  In
my opinion, it makes sense that Kerberos v4 be broken out into a
separate supplemental installer.

Jeffrey Altman
Secure Endpoints Inc.