[Kfwdev] Using the checked in build configuration file

Kevin Koch kpkoch at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 19 08:54:04 EDT 2007

Last night Jeff tried to use the automated build, bkw.pl, specifying a
config file.  He was surprised when the build used the config file in the
sources he checked out.

This is exactly the design.  The configuration used to build the sources is
part of the sources.

If bkw.pl were to use the command line config file for the build, there
wouldn't be any point in ever trying to use the config in the sources.  The
command line config file would prevail and we'd be back to where we were two
weeks ago.

It sounds like more control over config files is needed.  What about two
modes?  One is the current design and implementation - use the
command-line-specified config file to locate the sources and the config in
the sources to drive the build.  Two is to always use the
command-line-specified config file.

Comments?

Kevin