master key type in kdc.conf

Dan Mahoney (Gushi) danm at prime.gushi.org
Sun Oct 3 03:36:23 EDT 2021

Hey all,

We're in the process of rolling our mkey to get off 3des, and we found
that someone in the before-times has put this line in our kdc.conf:

master_key_type = des3-hmac-sha1

Obviously, that's not going to be the master key type of the new key, and
of course, I think when this command came out, there was no "use mkey"
format, so this was perhaps a primitive rollover method?

Would things break if I just took this line out?  Or would the kdc fail to
start because a K/M of the default enctype isn't present yet?

Does it make sense to remove this line before rollover or after?
(This might be worth a mention in the docs).

-Dan