Upgrading 1.14 to 1.18.1 -- Cannot allocate memory?

Greg Hudson ghudson at mit.edu
Fri May 8 18:35:13 EDT 2020

On 5/8/20 3:18 PM, Leonard J. Peirce wrote:
> I am testing the upgrade from 1.14 to 1.18.1.  I copy the database
> directory over and attempt to start krb5kdc and kadmind but both
> fail.  Syslog shows for krb5kdc
>
>     Cannot allocate memory - while creating main loop

"while creating main loop" is a hint here, but unfortunately "Cannot
allocate memory" probably doesn't speak to the true cause.  If there any
other KDC or kadmind log messages preceding that one, they may help.
Since you built the sources yourself, you could try debugging through
startup using gdb, particularly looking into loop_setup_network().
strace is another option for collecting more information.

There were significant changes to KDC and kadmind network configuration
in 1.15.  I haven't seen a report like this before, but it's possible
that the changes interact badly with your specific configuration.