KDC with openldap backend, ldap replication, can it chase referrals?

Dan Mahoney (Gushi) danm at prime.gushi.org
Wed Apr 15 11:22:59 EDT 2020

On Wed, 15 Apr 2020, Andreas Hasenack wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 1:54 AM Greg Hudson <ghudson at mit.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On 4/14/20 3:34 PM, Andreas Hasenack wrote:> Can mit kerberos (1.17 for
>> the purpose of this conversation) using the
>>> openldap backend (kldap) chase ldap referrals when it tries to write
>>> to an openldap replica, which is read-only?
>>>
>>> In other words, can I list both the openldap primary and its read-only
>>> replica in krb5.conf's ldap_servers parameter?
>>
>> I don't believe we support this.  This came up a number of years ago:
>>
>> https://krbdev.mit.edu/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=7754

I may have asked this in the past, but I'll ask it again since LDAP came
up.  We have an existing Kerberos domain, but we don't use LDAP at all (we
just use puppet to handle things like user creation on servers.

Specifically, we don't do active directory for any client workstations and
don't run windows in general -- our users own their own machines, so
there's no tie-in.  It's hundreds of servers, probably ~30 users.

I see a way to do kerberos with an LDAP backend, but not the opposite.
I'd like to "Add" openLDAP to my existing KDC, or deploy openLDAP but have
it use the KDB for authentication.  (Where openLDAP would continue to do
"authorization", but some machines would be kerberos-only and have no
dependence on any LDAP systems).  I don't want to have to re-key hundreds
of systems.

Is this possible in any way?

Failing that, is it possible to dump my KDC and import it into an openLDAP
system?  (If it is, I've found no documentation on this).

-Dan