.kinit: Preauthentication failed while getting initial credentials

Thomas Beaudry thomas.beaudry at concordia.ca
Wed Oct 26 14:20:51 EDT 2016

Hi Everyone,

I am running into a strange problem.  I can not get a kerberos ticket when using a keytab, but for 1 specific user only:

This is the command i use:

> kinit perform-admin -kt .perform-admin.keytab

kinit: Preauthentication failed while getting initial credentials

Now if I do:

?kinit

then i get prompted for a password, and then a ticket is created.

Like i said i can use a keytab for every other user and it does work, it is only for this 1 specific user that it fails.  I have also tried creating new keytabs for this user but it still fails.  I don't know if I have this problem because it's the same user that I used to join the REALM in the first place..

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Thomas Beaudry