Smart lock protocol

Simon Peeters simonpeeters90 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 09:20:20 EDT 2015

Hi,

First off, Thanks for all your ideas!

The only problems with Kerberos are
1) it requires the user to have internet on his phone
2) the phone must contact the server and obtain tickets every time it wants
to lock/unlock the door which adds delay (not sure how much). A solution
would be to have a phone app get a new ticket say every 15 minutes. This
would probably drain battery though.
3) makes the process dependent on a central server meaning if my server
goes down my friends and I can't access our homes. Pretty sure they'd be
pissed off about that =).

I think it would be better to just save all the authorized users on the
lock itself and use public key cryptography. This is safer and offers
better user experience I believe (faster response times). The downside is
indeed that you cannot easily grant temporary access to your home or make
changes to the authorized user list remotely.

Kind regards,
Simon