Help setting up PKINIT

Nordgren, Bryce L -FS bnordgren at fs.fed.us
Sun Apr 13 21:40:00 EDT 2014

I designed what I thought was a dumber-than-dirt test environment for PKINIT, where nothing could go wrong. Two days later...

I've got two Fedora 20 virtual machines on a host-only network inside VirtualBox with static IPs and entries in the /etc/hosts file. One is the KDC and the other is the client.

Relevant Packages (both machines):

*         krb5-{libs,server,pkinit,workstation}-1.11.5-4.fc20

*         openssl-libs-1.0.1e-37.fc20

*         openssl-1.0.1e-37.fc20

I have "no-preauthentication" kinits working just fine, for the one user principal in the KDC. I then followed the instructions on http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-devel/doc/admin/pkinit.html

The KDC initially complained that no realms were set up for PKINIT, thus PKINIT couldn't initialize. I ended up moving the keys/certs into /var/kerberos/krb5kdc because SELinux didn't like my original location of /root/Experiment1/. Fixed.

It now looks to me like the KDC returns a ticket, but kinit still asks for a password. I see  a NEEDED_PREAUTH message chased by an ISSUE message in the KDC log, but kinit is sitting at the password prompt. (log attached)

Wireshark shows an initial AS_REQ on UDP 88, a KRB_ERROR, and a followup AS_REQ on TCP 88, having three padatas, of types 133, 16, and 149. A ticket was returned from the KDC in the AS_REP which follows. I attached wireshark's text output, but I think the parser is a little off. It reports PA type 16 as PA_DASS, and type 17 as unknown.

I did try typing my password at kinit's password prompt, but kinit told me "password incorrect while getting initial credentials". "klist" shows that there's no tickets available. If I unset requires_preauth on my user account in the KDC, the password works.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bryce