Windows 2008R2 USER/root preauthentication failure

David Thompson dthompson at waisman.wisc.edu
Thu Sep 26 16:55:15 EDT 2013

I have a working kerberos environment, with Windows 2008R2 acting as
KDC, serving a mix of OS X and Linux (think RHEL 6) clients.

I am trying to add ksu ability, with principals of the form USER/root,
and cannot authenticate those principals.

I have successfully created a test /root principal and attached it to an
existing AD account on the AD server:

PS Z:\> ktpass -princ dt/root at KECK.WAISMAN.WISC.EDU /ptype
KRB5_NT_PRINCIPAL /pass * /mapuser dt /crypto all
Targeting domain controller: Santaka.keck.waisman.wisc.edu
Using legacy password setting method
Successfully mapped dt/root to dt.
Type the password for dt/root:
Type the password again to confirm:
Key created.
Key created.
Key created.
Key created.
Key created.

But, back on the linux client, I can't kinit with that principal:

%kinit dt/root
Password for dt/root at KECK.WAISMAN.WISC.EDU:
kinit: Preauthentication failed while getting initial credentials

If I turn off "preauth required" on the server, the error switches to
"wrong password."  However, I am using the same password on the client
and server.  All 1-part user principals authenticate fine.  I've tried
many enctypes (including RC4-HMAC); all have failed.

Does Anyone have any suggestions (short of switching to an MIT KDC :) )
on how to proceed?  Thanks much,

--
David Thompson
Waisman Center Brain Imaging and Behavior Lab