Help: Why SSL must be enabled when using mod_auth_kerb in httpd?

Tom Parker tparker at cbnco.com
Sat Mar 5 12:04:50 EST 2011

You need to use ssl with mod_auth_kerb so that if negotiate auth fails and the user is prompted for their username and password this is protected. Mod_auth_kerb uses basic auth to get this info and your username and password are transmitted in the clear to the server in this scenario. I would never use mod_auth_kerb without SSL.

Tom