ticket renew lifetime limited by Windows KDC policy

Di Pe dipeit at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 15:03:55 EDT 2010

Thanks Russ,

some more comments/questions  below

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:
> Di Pe <dipeit at gmail.com> writes:
>
> Have you considered using some other mechanism to ensure that users
> reauthenticate periodically?  For instance, if you're using bash, you
> could configure it to run kinit (or, possibly better, k5start -H) every
> once in a while by (ab)using the prompt setting.

This seems to be a good idea. I used
export PROMPT_COMMAND="k5start -H 500"
and it does what it's supposed to do.

One issue tough: k5start seems to look at ticket_lifetime instead of
renew_liefetime. ticket_lifetime is enforced to 10 hours by active
directory. If I don't use a cron job to renew the ticket users would
have to enter their credentials every few hours or so which is not
good if they run jobs over night.
If I use a cron job to renew the ticket I would not be prompted for
7days but if renew_lifetime ran out on a saturday  I would only have
another few hours to refresh the ticket.

Another problem we notice on our terminal server is that user sessions
are completely locking up when a ticket expires on a nfs mounted home
directory. It would be good if we had a cron job that forces a logout
for users where the ticket is about to expire in 60 minutes or less.
Is there a way to check for a happy ticket in a shell script without
getting a prompt if the ticket is not happy?

dipe

>> What would be a better Kerberos setup? pam_winbind instead of pam_krb5?
>> Other tools that can refresh/replace the TGT instead of renewing it?
>> These tools would have to store the user's password in memory, wouldn't
>> they?
>
> Yes.  You either need to allow tickets to be renewable for longer or you
> have to get the user to enter their password occasionally.  There aren't
> any other alternatives, really.
>
> Note, however, that if you use the newest version of the GSSAPI patch for
> ssh, any users who are logged on via ssh with a new client will have their
> tickets automatically reforwarded to all the systems to which they're
> logged on and hence refreshed on those systems.  If you have relatively
> sophisticated users, this is a very nice feature.

We have started using this feature and it will be a great replacement
for ssh keys because sys admins cannot enforce a password policy with
SSH keys.