Bug in com_err 1.8.1 (AIX Client)

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 3 16:34:56 EDT 2010

On Jun 3, 2010, at 16:16, John Merrill wrote:
>    When calling com_err (AIX client 1.8.1) with error code
> -1765328189, it core dumps.  The error message should be "No
> credentials cache found".  I'm running the 1.8.1 Kerberos client on an
> IBM power-6, AIX 5.3.  I linked with the 32-bit Kerberos client
> libraries.  I would like to try compiling/linking with the 64-bit
> libraries, but I can't find these to download.
>
>     com_err("nd_kerberos_auth", ioresult, "on krb5_mk_req_call");
> (ioresult is -1765328189)
>
> Assertion failed:  __EX, file  threads.c, line 351
> Abort process (core dumped)

That actually comes from the cleanup code run at process termination or when a library is unloaded.

(The assert() macro prints "__EX"??  We shouldn't be doing anything to override the OS version of the macro, so that looks kind of poor....)

It's indicating that a key for thread-specific data (managed through a layer of indirection in the support library) is being deleted without having been registered, or after having already been deleted.  Usually this means one of several things -- the library initialization functions aren't being run, or the cleanup functions are getting run more than once, or multiple copies of some of the libraries are getting loaded in the process (resulting in multiple instances of cleanup functions to run at exit), all using the same instance of the support library.

Without an AIX system to test on, I can't tell you much more than that....

Ken

--
Ken Raeburn / raeburn at mit.edu / no longer at MIT Kerberos Consortium