Mac OS X 10.5 automatic ticket creation tips?

Grindley, Karl kgrindley at ll.mit.edu
Fri Nov 21 08:06:21 EST 2008

Greetings,

I'm struggling with what should be a simple problem.  I have a number of Macs and users that are authenticating into a kerberos realm.  Authentication within the realm works without issue and Initial ticket creation on login.  I'm using Russ Albury's krenew package to keep credentials renewed until the user gets a new ticket.  Everything works great until the maximum renewable lifetime has expired, the user must manually kinit to get a new ticket.  This is slightly annoying.

However, on linux based systems using PAM, new tickets are requested from the KDC, extending the maximum renewal lifetime every time the user unlocks the console via screen saver.  Is there a simple way to do this on the mac (specifically in leopard?)  Does anyone have any good suggestions or tips?

Thanks,
Karl