Multiple TGT's to the same principal.

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Tue Nov 20 17:25:15 EST 2007

Rogerio Ferreira da Cunha wrote:
> On Nov 20, 12:05 pm, John Hascall <j... at iastate.edu> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Is it possible to request more than one TGT , if multiple servers
>>> share the same principal and care to don't send requests with the same
>>> timestamp?
>>     Typically, servers do not request tickets (including TGTs) at all
>>     unless they are also functioning as a client.  Servers keep their
>>     key in local storage.
>>
>>     If a client needs to talk to multiple servers that share the same
>>     principal, then it needs only one TGT (and one service ticket).
>>
>>> I'm working to integrate the SIP protocol with Kerberos, as a option
>>> for a Key Management Protocol like MIKEY, to provide a "share key by
>>> demand".
>> John
>
> Hi,
>
> As I told, I am working on a proposal to provide Kerberos as a Key
> Mgmt Protocol to SIP (*1) clients [RFC 3261], to provide the keys
> needed to protect the media on RTP (SRTP) protocol. It looks a little
> like what KINK does for IPSEC protocol [RFC3961].
>
> I am focusing on the times when a SIP client sends an INVITE to
> establish calls without be sure where the call will be ended on IP
> network. One classical (there are others) case happens when the call
> is direct to a public switched telephony network (PSTN) number. All
> the proxies along the signaling path could choose the best gateway
> based on call cost, proximity, policies, etc [RFC 3219 explain this].
> So, the RTP (or better the SRTP) will be ended on a previously unknown
> gateway.
>
> If the user wishes establish a secure media with SRTP (at least on IP
> part off the call), some of standards today will fail, like those on
> RFC380, because they need a PKI or Pre-shared key that doesn't scale
> or even works in this scenario. The SDES [RFC 4568] approach is not
> secure when there multiple domains are involved one a call.
> Off course, the gateway must decrypt the media before forward that to
> PSTN side.
>
> To face this problem I thought the caller could send its TGT (*2) and
> ask to the callee (the gateway) send back a KRB_AP_REQ, all the way
> back on the cross realm trusted relationship chain (the gateway should
> ask for a TGS on caller's  KDC realm first).

How would you send the TGT securely? Usually a TGT can be used to
impersonate the user, and is not normally sent. When it is "forwarded"
it is protected by a session key from a service ticket used to authenticate
to a trusted service. An example is ssh with GSSAPIDelegation yes.
The TGT is never just sent on its own.

Rather then looking at Kerberos directly, can you do what you need to do
using GSSAPI?