kfw 3.2 provider fails to load?

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at secure-endpoints.com
Fri Jul 20 12:03:37 EDT 2007

John W. Sopko Jr. wrote:
> I loaded kfw 3.2 on a test system and it worked fine, Windows XP with
> latest patches. I loaded on my system and it fails. The gui
> comes up and will not show any credentials. I click to obtain
> and get:
>
> --
> "There is no identity provider currently loaded. The identity
> provider is the component of Network Identity Manager that verifies
> and performs operations on actual identities. Without this provider,
> many critical operations cannot be performed.
>
> This is quite possibly caused by the identity provider
> module failing to load properly"
> --
>
> I poked around and can not find a reason to cause this.
> I do not have any other krb5*.dll's other then the ones
> that come with kfw 3.2 and OpenAFS 1.5.21.
>
> I re-installed/rebooted twice. I was running the kerbtray.exe
> that comes with the Windows Resource Kit. I stopped this
> from running and rebooted, same thing. Any clues to
> get this fixed? Thanks.

If you go to the Options->General page and turn on logging and then
restart NIM,
the error that prevented the identity provider from being loaded should
have been
entered in the log file.

Uninstalling KFW does not remove all of the registry entries.  If you
want to ensure a clean start remove the HKLM\SOFTWARE\MIT\NetIdMgr and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\MIT\NetIdMgr keys and all of the subkeys.  Note that doing
so will also remove the configuration data for any credential providers
from third parties such as OpenAFS or KCA.

Jeffrey Altman
Secure Endpoints Inc.