Compiling 1.5.3 or 1.6.1 on Solaris 5.9

Tom Yu tlyu at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 5 20:10:20 EDT 2007

>>>>> "bbense" == Booker C Bense <bbense at stanford.edu> writes:

bbense> I did a clean slate and configured 1.6.1 with

bbense> ./configure --prefix=/afs/slac.stanford.edu/package/krb5/1.6.1/sun4x_59

bbense> and got the same error. I then poked around in config/shlib.conf and
bbense> as near as I can tell it will never do the right thing with solaris
bbense> and gcc.

bbense> *-*-solaris*)
bbense>          if test "$krb5_cv_prog_gcc" = yes; then
bbense>                  PICFLAGS=-fPIC
bbense>                  LDCOMBINE='$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -shared -h $(LIBPREFIX)$
bbense> (LIBBASE)$(SHLIBSEXT)'
bbense>          else

bbense> Changing the -h to -Wl,-h,$(LIBPREFIX)$(LIBBASE)$(SHLIBSEXT), seems
bbense> to have fixed the problem.

Oh.  I think all of the versions of GCC I've worked with on Solaris
have known to pass "-h" to the linker unchanged.  I'm curious to know
how GCC was built so that it didn't know about passing "-h" to the
linker.

Please feel free to submit a bug report with your shlib.conf patch.

---Tom