keytab file format - exporting arcfour keys from active directory

Tim Alsop Tim.Alsop at CyberSafe.Com
Tue May 2 03:53:14 EDT 2006

Yes, you are correct.

Also, if you display a key table file using ktutil, and you have a
DES-CBC-CRC key, you would see 1.

Since we see values of 1,3,16,23 etc. in the key table file entry, this
suggests the 'cipher suite' number (commonly known as etype).

>From RFC4120, we see :

   EncryptionKey   ::= SEQUENCE {
           keytype         [0] Int32 -- actually encryption type --,
           keyvalue        [1] OCTET STRING
   }

The comment in the RFC suggests the keytype field is actually the
encryption type (e.g. etype) and not the keytype ...

Hopefully you can see from my above examples, that use of keytype is a
little confusing and open to interpretation ? I guess this is why the
comment was added in RFC4120 ?

Thanks,
Tim