Different error codes between AD KDC and MIT KDC

Jeffrey Altman jaltman2 at nyc.rr.com
Mon Jun 19 08:42:06 EDT 2006

Mike Friedman wrote:
> I've been testing some Kerberos authentication code against both my MIT K5
> KDC and a Windows Active Directory KDC.  In both cases, I'm using
> pre-authentication.  However, when I enter an incorrect password, the MIT
> KDC returns 31 (decrypt integrity check failure), whereas the AD KDC
> returns 24 (preauth failure).  I'm just wondering what might account for
> the different responses.
>
> In fact, this behavior doesn't cause me any problems, since I treat both
> as meaning that an incorrect password was entered.
>
> Is this just a difference in the way the two KDC implementations define
> the meaning of the return codes?  Or might there be a difference in the
> way the principals are defined in the two KDCs?

It is a difference is the way the RFC 4120 was interpreted.  Microsoft
read section 3.1.3 to indicate that only KDC_ERR_PREAUTH_FAILED may be
returned if the pre-authentication check fails.  MIT has historically
provided the more specific error when the failure condition when the
known key fails to decrypt the request.

Jeffrey Altman