Automating keytab creation when using windows 2003 KDC and linux clients

Markus Moeller huaraz at moeller.plus.com
Tue Jan 3 07:17:39 EST 2006

Sandy,

another possibility is the following. Create the account as before on AD
with ktpass (without extracting the key into keytab) which could be
automated with a fixed initial password. Then use the change_password
function which exists in the MIT code to change the password, which gives
you the key to store it in the keytab (with string_to_key). This isn't
automated, but avoids the keytab copy.

Alos you should not use user accounts, but computer accounts for the
following two reasons:

1) user accounts will be subject to domain password policies and you have
usually a password expiry (e.g. 90 days) after which the keytab would stop
working. Yes, you can set each account to never expire password, but this is
extra overhead.

2) If you want it automated, you have the risk of uncontrolled user
creation, which any good organised company has a problem with.

Also you may want to use a sub OU under the Computer OU for your devices and
give control over it to a different admin group.

Regards
Markus

news:1136182831.864285.319000 at f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...