Can use kerberized telnet, but cannot use pam_krb5

Ralf Hildebrandt Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
Wed Feb 1 11:33:15 EST 2006

* Douglas E. Engert <deengert at anl.gov>:

> Did you add the host account to AD?

Yes.

> Did you run the MS ktpass to set the service principal in the account,
Yes.

> set the password on the acocunt, and generate a kettab file?

Yes.
> Did you copy the keytab file back to the Unix system?

Yes.

> See
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/howto/kerbstep.mspx

I did EXACTLY that.

Meanwhile, I'm down to this in my /etc/pam.d/openvpn-krb5 file:

auth    requisite       pam_krb5.so no_ccache debug
account  required       pam_permit.so

This works IF AND ONLY IF the account I try to login as (hildeb in my
example) exists in /etc/passwd. I log in using the Kerberos Password
(the password from /etc/passwd DOES NOT WORK), but for unknown reasons
the system insists on the existance of the local account "hildeb" :(

  Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin

  Ralf Hildebrandt
   i.A. Geschäftsbereich Informationsmanagement
   Campus Benjamin Franklin
   Hindenburgdamm 30 | Berlin
   Tel. +49 30 450 570155 | Fax +49 30 450 570962
   Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
   http://www.charite.de