Assertion failuers

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 11 05:28:53 EDT 2005

On Jul 11, 2005, at 04:59, fariba wrote:
> thank you. may be i should explain what o really want to know: why by
> disabling the threads our problem on 2.6 went away? why using these
> flags was suggested? is multi-threading support kind of buggy?

There have been problems on some systems in determining whether the
pthread support has been linked into the program, and arranging for
initialization functions to be run.  Unfortunately, unless we commit to
always linking in the pthread library into all Kerberos applications,
we're stuck trying some hacks that'll depend on behavior of various
systems, outside the standard specifications -- things like weak
references to thread support functions.

It may well be that either switching to static libraries *or* disabling
the thread support is sufficient.  But as a simple answer, doing both
is more likely to just make things work for now (without fixing the
actual bug, of course).

Ken