How to configure a kerberized ftp ...

Fredrik Tolf fredrik at dolda2000.com
Tue Feb 8 20:22:20 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 01:03 -0800, daylebo wrote:
> ok this might be  areally dumb question ..
> i know how to configure vsftp and wuftp .... but i have no idea how 2
> configure the stock ftp of linux..

To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as a "stock ftp of
linux". I'm going to assume that you are referring to the FTP daemon
that comes with the MIT Kerberos implementation.

> i am implementing kerberos and need 2 get a kerberized ftp running ...
> pls pls can u give me a site or details steps how 2 set up the ftp ...

The best source of information is probably the manpage. In general,
though, you just need to add it to inetd/xinetd with the proper
arguments (I use "-l -a"), and add the proper principal to your KDC and
keytab.

> steps like how to provide specific user access

User access is, like all other parts of any UNIX/Linux system,
controlled via file modes (see the chmod manpage for more info).

> and change the root dir
> of ftp ...

The ftpd that comes with MIT Kerberos automatically chroots anonymous
access to the home directory of the "ftp" user.

Hope it helps,
Fredrik Tolf