Cannot start the krb5kdc

Daniel Savard daniel.savard at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 23:44:09 EDT 2005

2005/8/4, Sensei <senseiwa at tin.it>:
> On 2005-07-31 19:28:10 +0200, daniel.savard at gmail.com (Daniel Savard) said:

(...)

> If I remember right, those databases should be compatible. But, check
> it with kdb5_util from the command line.

# kdb5_util dump
kdb5_util: Invalid argument while setting active database to
'/etc/krb5kdc/principal'

;-(

> > Here is my krb5.conf:

(...)

> > [kdc]
> >         profile = /etc/krb5kdc/kdc.conf
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Why? There's no [kdc] section in krb5.conf --- check it with
>
> man krb5.conf
>
> if they've changed the sections in gentoo.

Checked, there is no documented kdc section in the man pages. So, I
removed the stanza, but doesn't fixed anything.

(...)

> Create it or remove the entry. In the man page, I don't see the default
> behavior if no dictionary exists.

Didn't change anything.

> > When trying to startup the KDC, I am getting the messages already
> > mentionned in my previous post. Not much more details than that.
> > Unless you can told me a way to increase debugging level.
> >

> Check the kdc.conf again and be sure the database works with the tools
> provided by kerberos. Also, be sure all the principals exist in the db,
> like K/M at CIDS.CA and so on.

Well, since I don't have access with the tools, a strings principal
gave me some output where I can see all principals I know seems to be
there.

> --
> Sensei <senseiwa at tin.it>

Can a crash being responsible for some lock files or something like
that which prevent proper access to the database?

Or, is Kerberos using a library to parse arguments that can be bogus
on my system? How can I check that? Since the message doesn't say
anything about the arguments used.