How to set up NFS client for Kerberized access in Solaris

Alok Gore alokgore at rediffmail.com
Tue May 4 04:30:43 EDT 2004

Thanks a lot for the response! :)

You asked:
>Are you using nfs.server-hostname at REALM-NAME or
nfs/server-hostname at REALM-NAME?
>The latter is known to work. Ditto root.client-hostname at REALM-NAME
versus
>root/client-hostname at REALM-NAME.

I am using nfs/server-hostname at REALM-NAME and
root/client-hostname at REALM-NAME
I have the keytab file containing the pricipal
nfs/server-hostname at REALM-NAME copied on to the server and I have done
kinit on the client. I can see the
root/client-hostname at REALM-NAME principal when I do a klist on the
client.

But I have a confusion! By looking at the principals you can not
distinguish between the pricipal for a service and a principal for a
user.  Does it matter ?

Apologies for the naive questions - I'm new to Kerberos.

I was looking at a thread which is abt using kerberos 4 for NFS client
server communication on Solaris.
(Reffer To: http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=rns.812460270%40deakin.edu.au&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain)
I know that this discussion does not fully apply to me because I am
using krb5 and RPCSEC_GSS mechanisms, but some things may be similar.

Mainly I was able to see these *cookbook* tips for setting it up

 * must run "kerbd" process on both NFS client and NFS server
 * must be running a Kerberos *V4* server
 * export the filesystem with kerberos authentication enabled:
 * obtain "root.client" ticket-granting ticket on the client:
	client# kinit root.client
 * mount the filesystem on the client, with the kerberos option:
         client# mount -o rw,kerberos server:/export/xxx /mnt

The above mount command will obtain an "nfs.server" service ticket
from the kerberos server.  You can very this with "klist".

I am worried abt two things:
1) I don't have anything like the "kerbd" that is mentioned here.
2) I am not getting the nfs/server-hostname ticket after doing a
mount.

Can you help ?

-Alok.